Our bodies are an amazing, miraculous and sometimes confusing machine that has many crazy facts we will never understand or know the full in-depth meaning of why it does the things it does. But here are 10 interesting facts about the human body that may surprise you.
- Yawning isn’t to say you’re tired, it’s to cool you down.
New researchshows that yawning actually regulates the temperature in our brains. When we yawn, we tend to stretch our mouths wide open which therefore increases the blood flow to the brain and cools the air we breathe in, which then changes the temperature of that blood flow. We mostly yawn when we are tired due to our bodies being the warmest when we are falling asleep and when we first wake up, yawning to quicken the cooling down process.
- When you blush, the lining of your stomach also turns red.
- Breastmilk can changeits chemical composition to meet the unique and changing nutritional needs of the baby throughout its growth phases.
- Almost all people in the world have special mites on their eyelashes called demodex.
- The only part of the body that has no blood supply is the cornea of the eye. The cornea will receive nutrients by the tear duct and nerve fibers. It gets oxygen directly through air!
- 50,000 cells in your body died and were replaced by new ones while you were reading this sentence.
- Embryos develop fingerprints 3 months after conception.
- Stomach acid can dissolve If it touched your skin, it would burn right through it. Your stomach acid is made up of potassium chloride, sodium chloride and hydrochloric acid. It has pH scale of 1-3, just to give you an idea on how pH scales work; 0 = most acidic and 14 = basic or alkaline. Your stomach manufactures a new lining every three days to avoid digesting itself.
- Your brain is always hungry! Your brain will acquire 20% of energy from every meal eaten.
- The human skeleton renews once in every three months.